Maksimir Park is located in the eastern part of Zagreb and was open to the public in 1794. The park was the first public promenade in this part of the Europe.
Named after its founder, the Zagreb bishop Maksimilian Vrhovec, Maksimir Park was arranged to be part of the oak woods in the middle of the 19th century. In the new park the paths were arranged surrounded by meadows and clearings full of decorative flowers and bushes. Enriched with monuments and various style buildings, the area makes for wonderful walks and family outings. The Swiss house, the Viewpoint, The Doorman hut, and the Echo Pavilion have all been preserved as well as several park sculptures.