Friendly service - Very friendly and good service, Denise was very friendly and made it very special for us.
Gerhard Bronkhorst, South Africa South Africa
A disappointment - My wife and I stayed at Stillpoint Manor on the 26th of October 2013 in room 12 as a birthday treat for me. We were initially both excited to spend a night away from the kids but left a little disappointed after our experience. Bearing in mind that the lodge boasts a 4 star rating, we were disappointed with the following:
- On arrival at the gate I was asked by the security guard whether I had a pen on me so that I could sign my wife and I in as he did not have one himself. Petty, but not really how you would like to be welcomed at a 4 star establishment.
- Our room, #12, behind the pool, had an outside patio/garden with a table and chairs. Quite nice initially, until I realised that the outside door leading off the patio opened up directly and looked straight into the back of the pool bar! This immediately erased all thoughts of us having a "romantic" dinner outside. I tried to close the door but the frame had warped such that one could not close it in the door frame. When I mentioned this to Denise I was told that she "doesn't get out here much" to have noticed the door;
- I then tried to run the bath. At a good guess I reckon that it would have taken close to half an hour to have filled the bath in order to enjoy it fully. The water pressure was that low. Some small touches that I would have expected but were missing were the lack of bubble bath and candles (there were candle holders but these were empty). On the website there is a really nice picture of a bath lit with candles and filled with bubbles. At least I managed to salvage the candles left over from the massage to recreate what I saw in the pictures;
- The swimming pool looked nothing like the sparkling blue pool that I saw in the pictures on the internet. Instead the pool looked as if it hadn't been cleaned for days and was most uninviting to say the least;
- Service levels were not great. Whilst watching the rugby I asked for some crisps only to be brought the crisps 50 mins into the game when I had to leave. At dinner we ordered two Cokes only to have to ask the waiter to follow-up on the Cokes 10 minutes later after forgetting about them (this bearing in mind that we were the only people in the restaurant).
- Dinner was good and most probably the highlight of the evening.
- On check out, my wife was told that she owed the full amount of for the weekend, this after having paid the full fee prior to arriving. This was explained and a revised statement generated, still with the incorrect amount showing as outstanding. When my wife queried this again she was told that the establishment does not check their bank statements that often and didn't know whether she had paid or not.
Above are some of the points the we felt detracted from making our evening out a truly special and memorable one.
These may all be little things but when compounded forces one to concentrate more on the negative experiences than the positive ones.
Maybe we just chose the wrong weekend to stay over at the lodge, but I would definitely not rush beck there in a hurry. With the choices available out and around Gauteng I would rather spend my time and money somewhere else.
Tanya Hutton, South Africa South Africa
Special stay - We were surprised by our experience of the peace and quiet at this establishment, as it is very centrally situated. We were treated professionally by all staff at all times. The restaurant provided excellent breakfasts and dinners. We were celebrating our wedding anniversary, and were particularly impressed by the attention to detail by the staff at Stillpoint. We left, feeling we had made friends, and that we had spent much longer than just the two days we were pampered. We look forward to another visit soon.
Martin van der Merwe, South Africa South Africa
Great rooms - Friendly staff, great rooms.
Michele Combrinck, South Africa South Africa
Excellent experience - Spent one night, the room was beautifully prepared for us, we loved it to bits. The dinner & breakfast were great, very personalised service. Absolutely, nothing to complain about.
toni sanyaman, South Africa South Africa